On this page you'll find:
These are the arguments that will appear in your voter's handbook.
Argument Against Measure
We are coastside residents and small business owners. We know from
personal experience how devastating the loss of Highway One at
Devil's Slide can be. Each time the road closes, our businesses are
devastated and hundreds of us lose our jobs. In addition, the health
and safety of our loved ones is threatened because emergency vehicles
can't get through. That's why we need a quick and permanent solution
to Devil's Slide. Unfortunately, Measure T is not the solution.
Read the fine print, and you'll find:
- Measure T takes away voter choice forcing the county to make the
tunnel the only alternative to the current road on Highway 1. All
other options are blocked.
- Measure T does not provide any funding for a tunnel. It simply
states that a tunnel should be given "high priority" for highway
funds. Yet, out local elected officials have admitted they cannot
guarantee federal funding for a tunnel. There is funding for a
bypass, but if Measure T blocks consideration of this option and
under federal law if we don't use those funds specifically for the
bypass, we lose them.
- Measure T does not guarantee a tunnel will ever be constructed.
If Measure T passes, and Devil's Slide collapses, out businesses will
fail, our homes will drop in value, and our families will lose
immediate access to emergency services like ambulances and additional
- Measure T makes unproven claims about the tunnel. An independent
study is currently underway. It doesn't make any sense to limit our
options to a tunnel before voters have had the opportunity to review
the completed analysis.
The simple fact is Measure T is not a quick or permanent solution
to Devil's Slide. That's why we urge you to Vote No on Measure T. The
future of our families and businesses depend on it.
Victor S. Tigerman |
Former Mayor, Half Moon Bay
Senior Community Activist
Alexander M. King|
Albert J. Adrevveno|
Former Mayor, Half Moon Bay
Retired flower grower
Susan W. Hayward|
Owner, Susan Hayward School of Dancing
John D. Barbour|
El Granada Resident
Chairman - Citizens for Solutions Not Roadblocks
Owner, small business
Rebuttal to the Argument
Measure T gives us a clear choice. Vote YES on T for the tunnel, or vote NO and Caltrans will build the freeway bypass. For the first time in thirty years the choice is ours.
Against Measure T
Measure T is supported by residents, businesses and by a majority of coastside civic leaders who recognize that preventing the devastation wrought by the freeway bypass is good for business, good for families, and good for the environment.
A clear mandate from the voters in favor of a tunnel will empower our legislators to get the money needed to finally fix Devil's Slide. After 30 years of gridlock we deserve our share of highway funds to fix our Coast Highway. The sooner, safer, cheaper, and BETTER solution for Devil's Slide is the TUNNEL.
- A tunnel can be built sooner than the freeway bypass because it has no major environmental impacts.
- Tunnels with modern state-of-the-art lighting, ventilation, and safety systems are proven and recognized worldwide as safe, reliable, and ideally suited for environmentally sensitive areas like Hwy 1 at Devil's Slide.
- Construction costs for a tunnel will be comparable to the freeway bypass, but when all of the costs are considered, the tunnel will be less costly because it will save our State Park, and avoid taxpayer costs from flooding, landslides and fog-related accidents.
- The freeway bypass is NOT funded. Only a fraction of the funding is available and the rest is not guaranteed.
VOTE FOR THE TUNNEL. VOTE YES ON MEASURE T!
Mayor, Half Moon Bay
Retired California Highway Patrolman
Mayor, City of Pacifica
Chair, Save Our Coast
Citizens for Reliable and Safe Highways
Back to Measure T Home Page